- This event has passed.
October 27, 2018 @ 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
Virtuoso Violas will not happen this year, 2019. Thank you for understanding.
Below is information from 2018.
FOUR LEVELS OF INSTRUCTION
LEVEL I: FIRST YEAR STUDENTS (IN THEIR FIRST YEAR OF INSTRUCTION.)
LEVEL II: SECOND AND THIRD YEAR OF INSTRUCTION STUDENTS
LEVEL III: JUNIOR HIGH & MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENTS
LEVEL IV: HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS
VIOLISTS! Here’s your chance to be among students and teachers who love to play the viola as much as you do! Come to the Virtuoso Violas Festival and you will be able to attend a class taught by outstanding string educators and musicians. The workshop will culminate in performances in the auditorium at Carson Junior High School at Noon, in which all participants will perform. The public is invited to attend the 12:00 performances.
REGISTRATION: Music will be provided for all levels. Students pre-registering before October 21 pay only $15.00. After October 21 the late registration fee is $20.00. Late registration can be accepted on the day of the event. Registration will take place outside Carson Junior High School auditorium from 8:30AM until 9:00AM.
T-SHIRTS: During registration T-shirts featuring the Virtuoso Violas logo will be on sale for $12.00 in sizes S, M, L, XL (limited to shirts on hand).
LEVEL 4 CLASS: Before the workshop begins, a special master class concentrating on the Arizona All-State Viola Etudes will be held for high school students from 8:00 – 9:00AM.
SOLO COMPETITION: On Friday October 26th, 2018, there will be a solo competition open to viola students in grades 9-12. Prizes will be awarded. Please email or call for more information.
If you have any questions, please call (480) 510-4835 or email VirtuosoViolas@hotmail.com.
Registration Form: Virtuoso Violas 2018
Friday, OCTOBER 28th, 2016 Carson Junior High School 525 North Westwood Mesa, AZ 85201
We are excited to announce our 19th annual competition especially for violists. The first prize winner will perform on the Virtuoso Violas Concert on Saturday, October 29th, 2016 in the Carson Junior High School Auditorium.
FIRST PRIZE – Dr. WILLIAM MAGERS MEMORIAL AWARD
SECOND PRIZE – PAUL ROLLAND MEMORIAL AWARD
THIRD PRIZE – ANN MATTHEWS MEMORIAL AWARD
$200.00 $150.00 $100.00
1. Entrant must be a viola student in 9th, 10th, 11th or 12th grade. Previous first place winners are not eligible.
2. Repertoire, not to exceed ten minutes, must be chosen from the following:
Bach, J.C./Casadesus – Concerto in C Minor (1st Movement)
Bloch – Suite for Viola & Orchestra (1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th Movement) Bloch – Suite Hebraique for Viola & Orchestra (1st Movement) Handel/Casadesus – Concerto in B Minor (1st or 3rd Movement) Handoshkin – Concerto in C Major (1st Movement)
Hindemith – Der Schwanendreher (1st Movement)
Hoffmeister – Concerto for Viola (1st or 3rd Movement)
Hummel – Fantasie for Viola (complete)
Shulman – Variations (complete)
Stamitz – Concerto in D Major (1st or 3rd Movement)
Vaughan Williams – Suite (Group 2 or 3)
von Weber – Andante & Rondo Ungarese (complete)
Walton- Concerto for Viola (Any Movement)
*other repertoire subject to pre-approval by Virtuoso Violas
3. The competition application and competition registration fee of $25.00 must be postmaked no later than October 18, 2018; no exceptions. Entrants will be issued performance times based on the order of application receipt and notified by phone of the scheduled time.
4. All entrants will receive written comments.
5. Names of winners will be announced immediately following the last entrant’s performance. Awards
will be presented at the Virtuoso Violas performance Saturday, October 27, 2018.
6. Entrants MUST provide three copies of music to be performed for the judges.
7. Entrants must register for both the workshop ($15.00) AND for the competition ($25.00)
8. This competition is closed to the public.
9. The decision of the judges is final.
Please call or email Patricia Cosand, VV Contest Coordinator, (480) 688-7499 or firstname.lastname@example.org for clarification.