- This event has passed.
October 28, 2017
The ASTA-AZ Solo Competition for violin, viola, cello, bass, guitar, and harp is held annually in the fall for outstanding students who study privately with our members. Student performers are divided into junior or senior division, where they perform for a panel of judges. Let your students shine; enroll your students ASAP in this exciting event.
Senior division: First Place – $300
Second Place – $200
Third Place – $100
Junior Division: First Place – $150
Second Place – $100
Third Place – $75
1. Instrumental categories are Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass, Harp, Classical Guitar
2. Participant must be an ASTA member or current student of an ASTA member in good standing at the time of registration/competition
3. Participant may enter in their state of residency or the state in which they are studying. Under no circumstance will a participant be allowed to enter more than one State Competition. Membership number must be included on the registration form.
4. The age requirements for each division are:
Junior – Grade 8 and under
Senior – Grades 9-12
5. Previous first place winners of a certain category are not eligible to re-enter in that same category.
6. Repertoire is to be selected from the standard classical literature matching your particular instrument. Complete works or complete single movements from works will be required of all entrants. Memorization is not required, but is strongly encouraged.
7. Solo must not exceed ten minutes.
8. The cutting of lengthy piano tutti sections is encouraged.
9. Please provide 2 judges’ copies of your performance piece with measures numbered.
10. Please arrive 30 minutes in advance of your audition time for registration check-in and warm-up.
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: October 1, 2017
Competition Chair: John Haggard firstname.lastname@example.org
Competition Venue TBA
2017 State Solo Competition Results
1st Place : Keenan Winkler, cello student of Jamie Kellogg
2nd Place : Ethan Yang, violin student of Jing Zeng
3rd Place : Tony Kim, cello student of Maria Simiz
Honorable Mention : Gina Ryu, violin student of Min Park
Honorable Mention : Tripp Myers, bass student of Daniel Swaim
1st Place : Hannah Goldstick, violin student of Jing Zeng
2nd Place : Audrey Wang, violin student of Katie McLin
3rd Place : Leo Kubota, cello student of Thomas Landschoot
Honorable Mention : Fiyi Adebekun, violin student of Danwen Jiang
Honorable Mention : Josiah Dulhstine, cello student of Jenna Dalbey
Honorable Mention : Alicia Yang, viola student of Susanne Rothaar