WE’RE BACK AND IN PERSON!!
The ASTA-AZ Solo Competition for violin, viola, cello, bass, guitar, and harp is held annually in the fall for outstanding students who study privately with our members. Student performers are divided into junior or senior division, where they perform for a panel of judges. Let your students shine; enroll your students ASAP in this exciting event.
Senior division: First Place – $300
Second Place – $200
Third Place – $100
Junior Division: First Place – $150
Second Place – $100
Third Place – $75
1. Instrumental categories are Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass, Harp, Classical Guitar
2. Participant must be an ASTA member or current student of an ASTA member in good standing at the time of registration/competition
3. Participant may enter in their state of residency or the state in which they are studying. Under no circumstance will a participant be allowed to enter more than one State Competition. Membership number must be included on the registration form.
4. The age requirements for each division are:
Junior – Grade 8 and under
Senior – Grades 9-12
5. Previous first place winners of a certain category are not eligible to re-enter in that same category.
6. Repertoire is to be selected from the standard classical literature matching your particular instrument. Complete works or complete single movements from works will be required of all entrants. Memorization is not required, but is strongly encouraged.
7. Solo must not exceed ten minutes.
8. All pieces written with accompaniment MUST have an accompaniment performed along with solo
9. Please provide 2 judges’ copies of your performance piece with measures numbered
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: October 1st.
Competition Chair: John Haggard – firstname.lastname@example.org
Competition Venue: Red Mountain High School, 7301 E. Brown Rd. Mesa, Az 85207
Competition Date : Saturday, 10/30/21
2019 State Solo Competition Results
1st Place : Isobel Andersen, violin student of Susanne Rothaar
2nd Place : Marco Opena, violin student of Lia Taylor
3rd Place : Brooklyn Evans, violin student of Susanne Rothaar
Honorable Mention : Katherine Li, violin student of Jing Zeng
Honorable Mention : Sophie Kim, cello student of Thomas Landschoot
1st Place : Jonathan Pak, cello student of Jan Simiz
2nd Place : Seungchan Min, violin student of Min Park
3rd Place : Ethan Yang, violin student of Jing Zeng
Honorable Mention : Alicia Yang, viola student of Susanne Rothaar
Honorable Mention : Leo Kubota, cello student of Thomas Landschoot