The ASTA-AZ Solo Competition for violin, viola, cello, bass, guitar, and harp is held annually in the fall for outstanding students who study privately with our members. Student performers are divided into junior or senior division, where they perform for a panel of judges. Let your students shine; enroll your students ASAP in this exciting event.
Senior division: First Place – $300
Second Place – $200
Third Place – $100
Junior Division: First Place – $150
Second Place – $100
Third Place – $75
1. Instrumental categories are Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass, Harp, Classical Guitar
2. Participant must be an ASTA member or current student of an ASTA member in good standing at the time of registration/competition
3. Participant may enter in their state of residency or the state in which they are studying. Under no circumstance will a participant be allowed to enter more than one State Competition. Membership number must be included on the registration form.
4. The age requirements for each division are:
Junior – Grade 8 and under
Senior – Grades 9-12
5. Previous first place winners of a certain category are not eligible to re-enter in that same category.
6. Repertoire is to be selected from the standard classical literature matching your particular instrument. Complete works or complete single movements from works will be required of all entrants. Memorization is not required, but is strongly encouraged.
7. Solo must not exceed ten minutes.
8. Although your selection may include a piano reduction originally, All performance video submissions must be unaccompanied
9. Please provide 1 judges’ copies of your performance piece with measures numbered to be uploaded to link provided to applicants
10. Guidelines for video submission will be emailed upon receipt of application.
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: October 5th.
Competition Chair: Walt Temme, email@example.com
Competition Venue: Virtual via recording submission
2019 State Solo Competition Results
1st Place : Isobel Andersen, violin student of Susanne Rothaar
2nd Place : Marco Opena, violin student of Lia Taylor
3rd Place : Brooklyn Evans, violin student of Susanne Rothaar
Honorable Mention : Katherine Li, violin student of Jing Zeng
Honorable Mention : Sophie Kim, cello student of Thomas Landschoot
1st Place : Jonathan Pak, cello student of Jan Simiz
2nd Place : Seungchan Min, violin student of Min Park
3rd Place : Ethan Yang, violin student of Jing Zeng
Honorable Mention : Alicia Yang, viola student of Susanne Rothaar
Honorable Mention : Leo Kubota, cello student of Thomas Landschoot