- This event has passed.
WE’RE BACK AND IN PERSON!!
The ASTA-AZ Solo Competition for violin, viola, cello, bass, guitar, and harp is held annually in the fall for outstanding students who study privately with our members. Student performers are divided into junior or senior division, where they perform for a panel of judges. Let your students shine; enroll your students ASAP in this exciting event.
Senior division: First Place – $300
Second Place – $200
Third Place – $100
Junior Division: First Place – $150
Second Place – $100
Third Place – $75
1. Instrumental categories are Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass, Harp, Classical Guitar
2. Participant must be an ASTA member or current student of an ASTA member in good standing at the time of registration/competition
3. Participant may enter in their state of residency or the state in which they are studying. Under no circumstance will a participant be allowed to enter more than one State Competition. Membership number must be included on the registration form.
4. The age requirements for each division are:
Junior – Grade 8 and under
Senior – Grades 9-12
5. Previous first place winners of a certain category are not eligible to re-enter in that same category.
6. Repertoire is to be selected from the standard classical literature matching your particular instrument. Complete works or complete single movements from works will be required of all entrants. Memorization is not required, but is strongly encouraged.
7. Solo must not exceed ten minutes.
8. All pieces written with accompaniment MUST have an accompaniment performed along with solo
9. Contestants MUST provide 2 judges’ copies of your performance piece with measures numbered
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: NOW EXTENDED to October 8th.
Competition Chair: John Haggard – firstname.lastname@example.org
Competition Venue: Red Mountain High School, 7301 E. Brown Rd. Mesa, Az 85207
Competition Date : Saturday, 10/30/21
2021 State Solo Competition Results
1st Place : Jayden Yoneyama, violin student of Steven Moeckel
2nd Place : Ayla Moreno, violin student of Laura Tagawa
3rd Place : Justin Kang, cello student of Jamie Kellogg
Honorable Mention : Alex Gong, viola student of Susanne Rothaar
Honorable Mention : Elenor Rushall, violin student of Karin Hallberg
1st Place : Seungchan Min, violin student of Steven Moeckel
2nd Place : Jonathan Okseniuk, violin student of Jing Zeng
3rd Place : Brandon Lee, viola student of Susanne Rothaar
Honorable Mention : Vincent Claes, cello student of Jamie Kellogg